Saturday, February 9, 2008

I like cake!

A postmortem and quick review of some work I did earlier this year.

Birthday Cake

It's neat! It's candle flames! Watch them flicker! It's... one day of work, so don't be too disappointed if it's little more than an effect showcase.


This was a 1-day flash project I did, as part of a birthday for a family member. (I have at least one family member tolerant enough to let me get away with making flash birthday cards for holidays, which works fine for me, being the consummate procrastinator, since they can be emailed...)

It's basically a birthday cake. It's not even much of a "game". Most of the fun is moving the mouse around and watching the candles blow and flicker. The whole thing really is a lot of me experimenting with trying to make things look luminous, while trying to guestimate how candle flames flicker.

As a post-mortum-y thing, this version would probably look quite a bit nicer if smoke or something came up from the candles after they had been blown out. Also, as at least one friend has pointed out, it's thoroughly unsatisfying being unable to blow out the last, big candle.

(Both of these were not problems in the original. In the original, however, every candle blown out released a sappy, birthday wish. This is the de-sappified version.)

No comments: