Friday, February 8, 2008

Aquaria Playthrough Diary 8

A brief update, in which I brave the depths of the abyss, learn to bake a truly legendary cake, and learn that the truest love is that which comes from evolutionary selection-pressure.

Played a bit more, and took a break from my repeated attempts to kill the thing hanging on the ceiling in the bubble cave. I hate giving up on it, since it was such a pain to get to, but I'm running out of ideas. I went back to the veil though, and finally took down the giant squid. And hooray! Got a baby pet dumbo squid that follows me around like it thinks I'm it's mommy. (Presumably as some sort of recognition of the realities of evolution? Clearly the results of our battle showed that I was more fit than it's mother?)

I did not emerge unscathed from the squid fight however. I discovered (actually while playing in the bubble cave) that the number keys 1-9 seem to act as an instant “change form” button. Handy! Except... now I can't stop using it. It's TOO handy. The squid was actually difficult to beat without it, really. (Being able to instantly switch between beast form and sun form was invaluable.)

Also took some time to stock up on veggie cakes. (And special cakes! The berry on top makes all the difference!) And reflect a bit on how I do like the cooking system. I also explored a few more nooks and crannies that I'd skipped before, and discovered some neat toys. (Found a recipe for legendary cakes, woo!)

And then, some more time in the abyss. The little dumbo jellyfish is neat here, but really not quite adequate. Back to sun form. Exploring a bit, I discover.... a giant whale? ... Not what I was expecting to find in the ocean depths, (was figuring he'd be up near the veil, actually) but ok. Singing the whale song, I get him to open his mouth, and find a few neat things when I swim into it. Except that there's a little squid who looks like a shopkeeper, who seems to want something. And he's guarding a perl that I need for a different spot in the level. And I have NO IDEA WHAT HE WANTS. It's a little annoying actually.

He just keeps singing the same four, color-coded notes again and again, but doesn't respond when I sing them back. I can only imagine that I'm supposed to remember them and use them somewhere else, but so far, I have no idea where. Maybe it will become more apparent when I explore the abyss further?

I also found the mother of all jellyfish. This is a neat boss. I haven't beaten it yet, but I like it a lot. Unfortunately, at least one thing that has been hampering me is extremely annoying. For some reason, save-game doesn't seem to save your stored-up shots in beast form. This doesn't seem like much, but for the jellyfish fight, beast form is incredibly important. (To the way I'm approaching it, at least.) It's incredibly useful for clearing out jellyfish that are chasing you. And it would be great to be able to attack the center without leaving beast form. (Most beast form shots are superior to energy form, for this fight) But... if you die, they all go away when you continue. And there are very few things in the abyss that you can eat to get more shots. Which means I almost feel like the game is punishing me by making me go travel somewhere and grind by eating squid or something. (A strange thought.)

I'm still in the abyss, but haven't explored all of it yet. Probably play more soon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Did you clear this game?
I wonder how can I open Sunken city, I mean where hell the Li is?
I'm sad little bit.
Thx for your attention.

Unknown said...

Hey,
I liked reading your Aquaria-Diary. But no new posts since the beginning of February? If you got to frustrated and have stopped, you can come to the bit blot-forums and find all answers you need there. :)
Or start a new topic and we gladly help.
Cheers,
Xiagan